Having a Peaceful Heart in a Complex World
by Ven. Thubten Chodron©
Tai Pei Buddhist Centre, Singapore
27 Oct 2006
Part 1 [34 min] : Download
Breath Meditation & being content
Cultivating a positive motivation for listening to the teaching.
Bodhicitta is the source of all happiness now and in the future. How to overcome the feeling of loneliness; Feeling connected with others and developing satisfactory relationships; There is some kindness in each and every living being no matter who they are; Reflecting on the kindness we have received; Getting along with others – how to let go of our high and unrealistic expectations of people; Complaining – does it bring happiness or problems?; Transform our own mind first rather than wait for others to change; Worrying – is it helpful? Taking responsibility for what is within our control but not what is beyond our control; What it all boils down to: If we want to be happy, develop a heart of loving compassion that really cherishes other beings and then act from that space of compassion in our lives.
Part 2 - Cont'd [28 min] : Download
Part 3 [38 min] : Download
Questions and answers:
- What can we do to purify the breaking of precepts?
- Is our mind conditioned from the day we are born or do we have past karma that conditions our mind?
- Could you elaborate on the process of letting go? See transcript.
- What can we do to somebody who badmouths us even though we try our very best to be nice to them and say nice things to them?
- How can I let go of the past that has been making me suffer for many years? See transcript.
- I’m afraid that if I choose to be kind or compassionate to others, I’ll expect them to be the same to me. If they don’t reciprocate, I’ll feel disappointed and upset. See transcript.
- When somebody is angry with you, how do you act with love and compassion? Do you forgive the other person for being angry?
- Please explain the difference between the motivation of aiming for liberation and that of aiming for enlightenment.
- How do we resolve a conflict when Party A decides on one decision and Party B decides on a totally different solution?
- What can we do if we smile at somebody but he or she doesn’t smile back? See transcript.
- How do we practice loving kindness towards someone who is constantly hostile?
Meditation & Dedication of Positive Potential.