Working with Anger
by Ven. Thubten Chodron©
for Tricycle Magazine USA
10 - 31 May 2006
Venerable Chodron gave a series of four telephonic teachings on anger for Tricycle Magazine.
10 May 2006: Session One
[48 minutes] : Download mp3 file
Venerable Chodron defines anger, the objects of anger. She talks about the Buddhist view of anger and also talks about the antidote to anger - patience.
10 May 2006: Session One Q+A
[7 minutes] : Download mp3 file
- Do Buddhists feel that they should not be angry?
- What about righteous anger, feeling angry when we see injustice?
17 May 2006: Session Two Q+A
(Q+A precedes Session Two, below)
[17 minutes] : Download mp3 file
- What can parents do to help children handle anger?
- How do you let go of anger and resentment that has been festering for
- How do we work with deep-seated anger?
17 May 2006: Session Two
[37 minutes] : Download mp3 file
Venerable Chodron talks about dealing with criticism and blame,betrayal of trust, and the judgmental mind.
24 May 2006: Session Three Q+A
(Q+A precedes Session Three, below)
[18 minutes] : Download mp3 file
- How do we handle the adrenalin rush of anger and the addiction to that
- Can anger cause disease such as cancer?
- How do you cultivate the space between the angry feeling and actions
of anger? What techniques can you use to calm yourself in that space?
24 May 2006: Session Three
[47 minutes] : Download mp3 file
Venerable Chodron continues her talk on the judgmental mind. She also talks about how anger relates to attachment, fear and depression.
31 May 2006: Session Four Q+A
(Q+A precedes Session Four, below)
[14 minutes] : Download mp3 file
- Love, compassion and foregiveness for abusers.
- Does venting anger work, if not why not?
- How does anger destroy merit or positive potential?
- If you apply an antidote while anger arises, does it still destroy positive potential?
31 May 2006: Session Four
[38 minutes] : Download mp3 file
Venerable Chodron talks about anger at ourselves, cultivating love, compassion and tolerance for ourselves and others.