Manjushri Sadhana and Commentary
Teachings by Venerable Chodron ©
Dharma Friendship Foundation, Seattle, WA, USA
August - November 2000
Track 1 (1.14.09) : Download mp3 file
- Guided Meditation - Manjushri Sadhana
- General Explanation of the Manjushri Sadhana
Track 2 (1.10.58) : Download mp3 file
- Placing the Manjushri Sadhana within the Three Vehicles
- Historical Progression of the Three Vehicles
- Historian's Perspective
- Tibetan Gelug Perspective
- Motivation, Precepts & View in the Three Vehicles
Q & A:
- Could you talk about the DHI in the back of the throat?
- How can I prepare my mind for the meditation on emptiness?
- In what order do I chant the mantras?
- Without having actually generated the 4 opponent powers, does this practice actually purify negativities?
Track 3 (1.14.14) : Download mp3
- The Purpose and Types of Manjushri Practice
- The 4 Kinds of Wisdom
- The 4 Misconceptions and how Manjushri Practice Eliminates them
- Eliminating Ordinary Appearances
Q & A:
- If what I'm changing is my perception of my conventional self as an impure collection to a pure collection labeled Manjushri, since I can't have two conceptions at the same time, where does the impure conception go?
- What exactly is appearing as the body of light?
- The conventional self is normally labeled in dependence on the impure aggregates, but since the appearance of Manjushri's pure aggregates – which arise from the mind which directly realizes emptiness - what exactly am I labeling “Manjushri” in dependence on? The mind which realizes emptiness? Or something else?
- What does is mean to label “in dependence on” something?
- Can we say that our ordinary body is an appearance of our ordinary mind?
- It almost seems as though we're doomed to do the practice incorrectly until we have developed the wisdom realizing emptiness. What can I do?
- Since we haven't actually realized emptiness, in this meditation is the mind which realizes emptiness which gives rise to the pure aggregates of Manjushri just imagined? Is it referring to the extremely subtle mind?
- Pretending to be something I'm not while pretending to be something I am is confusing with regards to how I should operate in the conventional world. What should I do?
Track 4 (1.10.09) : Download mp3
- The Importance of Refuge & Bodhicitta
- The 4 Noble Truths from the Mahayana Perspective
- The 2, 3, 4, and 5 Bodies of a Buddha
Q & A:
- What is the difference between viewing the Guru as a representative, an emanation, and the Buddha himself?
- When a true cessation is generated, how does the mind continue on?
- How can a virtuous thought be contaminated with ignorance?
- How can an impermanent mind have karmic imprints?
Track 5 (1.16.26) : Download mp3
- Wrong Ways of Cultivating Bodhicitta
- How to Meditate on Emptiness in Manjushri Practice
- Manjushri Self-Generation
- Invoking the Wisdom Beings
- Consecrating and Making the Offerings
Q & A:
- Is it important to know the mudras (gestures) for the offerings?
- Who do the offering goddesses make offerings to?
- What are the nature, aspect and function of the offerings?
- Which initiations do you need to do the self-generation?
- In this sadhana, why do we imagine the mind taking the shape of an egg?
Track 6 (1.21.52) : Download mp3
- Precious Human Life
- Grasping at Inherent Existence & the Appearance of Inherent Existence
- Seeing Living Beings' Buddha Potential
- Seeing the Environment as a Pure Land, Hearing Sound as Mantra, and the Mind as Manjushri's Omniscient Mind
- Making and Enjoying the Offerings – Practicing Satisfaction
- The Meaning of Manjushri's Name
- Two Kinds of Buddha's Wisdom
- 5 Hindrances to Samadhi & the 8 Antidotes
- 2 Kinds of Ordinary Appearance and their Antidotes - Clear Appearance & Divine Dignity
Track 7 (1.29.40) : Download mp3
- Identifying the Real Enemy – Mental Afflictions
- Signs of Real Progress
- The Importance of Retreat, Daily Practice & Knowing What You're Working With
- Conducive Conditions for Retreat & Setting up an Altar for Manjushri
- Pranayama, Mantra and Visualization
- Visualizations for Developing the 7 Wisdoms
- What to do After the Mantra Recitation
- What to do Between Sessions
Q & A:
- Can I do just one of the visualizations for the session?
- If a lot of mental garbage arises during the meditation, should I continue with the visualization, or should I stop and apply an antidote?
- How important is it to do 777,777 recitations of the mantra?
- Is clear appearance a part of the ultimate reality divine dignity a part of conventional reality?
- Upon completing the visualization of quick wisdom, what do I contemplate as being the result?
- During the long visualization of cutting ignorance & cleansing impurities, do these two happen simultaneously?